13/07/2015

IN YOur MOther's ACcount: IT's SOmething FAther's USually SAy.


It has been evident throughout generations all across the world that politics makes little sense. You would equally be losing a lot of sleep and much needed brain cells trying to make sense out of an institution that makes no sense. I have since learnt to consider political players as overpaid comedians who chose fancy titles to accompany their names and the secret to survival in these murky waters is how fast you can apply abrakadabra. Before I start creating the illusion that I am much smarter than I look, let me get to the point. Uhm, before I get to the point, I would like us to drive this hashtag #SomeoneTellKellysMum to the top ten trending topics in Kenya this week. I will tell you why shortly.
Before I tell you why we need to make #SomeoneTellKellysMum trend, I will tell you a brief story of an experience I had with my father many years ago when I was a teenager trying to help in the family business as I awaited to join college. I’m not on a mission to complicate these issues and bore you to death so try stay with me please and I will knit all these lose ends I am introducing together to an amicable conclusion...
The reason why I want to share the brief experience I had with my father as a teenager was inspired by a twitter exchange that happened on Sunday between an honourable SORK and a tweep named Kelly. Ok SORK is borrowed from the same line as POTUS i.e Senator Of the Republic of Kenya. Here is an excerpt of the tweeversation: 

The honourable SORK was making a very serious contribution to the dilemma of how Kenyans can reclaim looted public property then the young Kelly chap interjects with a query of his own. Kenyans went ham about it and there were a million plus change interpretations to this little exchange between SORK and lil Kelly. Here is my take on the whole saga and I will relate it to a similar one I had with my dad those many years back.
You see, my dad used to be a land broker (let’s use the word real estate agent. Sounds more legit). A real estate agent identifies land that needs to be sold and finds a buyer for it or vice versa. The real estate agent adds a mark up to the price of the land to act as his commission. If say you want to sale your ka plot for Ksh. 1Million, a real estate agent will look for a buyer who is willing to buy it for Ksh. 1.43Million. If he is lucky, he can even get one who is willing to pay Ksh. 1.5M or Ksh1.7M or even 2 MILLION! After all, the business of land is purely a willing buyer-willing seller affair. Donge? So when my father finds a buyer willing to pay say Ksh. 1.7M, he will not go to the seller and tell him I have found a buyer willing to pay you Ksh. 1.7M. He will just tell him I have found a buyer. Infact if it was his friend Kariuki who had found this buyer willing to pay Ksh. 1.7M, Kariuki would go to the seller and say that he has found a serious buyer. Kariuki unlike my dad will not stop there, he will tell the seller that the buyer is only willing to offer Ksh. 900,000. You see, Kariuki has been in this land business for long and he knows how to drive a hard bargain. He knows when it is the buyer or the seller who is held between a rock and a hard place. He knows at the end of the day that other than the Ksh. 700,000 he has managed to broker from the buyer, he will also need the Ksh. 100,000 spill off from the seller to go buy for himself and his lady friends first generation brew. 
Since this story was not about the tyranny of numbers nor Kariuki and neither was it about my dad and how they connect willing buyers and willing sellers, I will summarize it thus. In such deals, the real estate agent’s prowess lies in not allowing the willing buyer to meet the willing seller because they will talk and realize they are being swindled WILLINGLY. If you were to ask me, there is nothing real about the real estate business, but what do I know?...
So there is this time that my dad had helped a buyer get a prime piece of land and he had made some good money. This money was god sent since my dad had gone for long without having brokered any land and his loans were in arrears and he was heavily in debt. Since it was family business, I was in charge of accounts. While in the process of balancing the accounts, I realized I could not locate the huge commission my dad had made from the prime land deal so I walked to where he was enjoying second generation brew with his friends. To my shock, I found them taking first generation brew but then I thought, maybe it was because he had made a really good commission like Kariuki. Since in those days the Mututho laws were still new and everyone was eager to implement them, I could not walk into the bar as  a teenager so I shouted to him from the doorsteps,
“ Dad, where is the money of the sold Tuskis Embakasi?”
At that time, dad was in the middle of a very heated debate and even without looking my way, he shouted back,
“In your mother’s account.”
He immediately went back to his heated conversation and I went and asked mother for her bank statement so that I could continue with the family business accounts audit. Clever dad, he had deposit the lump sum in my mother’s account to prevent the banks from recovering their arrears which could have wiped out his whole honey pot...
So when lil Kelly and the honourable SORK had a similar exchange, it took me back to the similar exchange I had with my dad and I could not understand why KOT went ham over such a small matter. I think the questions that we could have asked were simple:
1.      Was the Tokyo Embassy land floated for sale by a willing seller?
2.      Was a willing buyer identified?
3.      Did the willing buyer accept the quote he got from the real estate agents?
Since there is a pending case in court concerning the said prime land, it seems there was a problem between the willing seller, willing buyer and the real estate agents. We are a country that is governed by the rule of law and our court system is evidence based (there I go again trying to seem smarter than I look). The follow up questions from the tweet exchange begs thus:
1.      Is lil Kelly and the SORK related?
2.      Was lil Kelly just like me those many years ago trying to do some family audit and wanted to know where the commission had been deposited?
3.      Have the courts acted on the new evidence and asked for audited accounts of lil Kelly’s mum?
Just like lil’ me those many years ago when I could have called my dad aside and inquired about family matters privately, lil Kelly might have wanted to ask the SORK about the money maybe in an SMS but since he is hooked to twitter, he mistakenly asked the question in the open when the SORK was in a deep deep conversation of great national importance. But what do I know? I’ve been told before that I tend to think too much. Or maybe I just tend to think too little. I’m yet to figure out which is which but in the interest of the willing buyer who thinks he got a raw deal in the Tokyo Embassy land purchase, why can’t KOT help and have #SomeoneTellKellysMum to produce her audited accounts and prove whether the commission from the sale was deposited there or not?





No comments:

Post a Comment